This report is a bit less about new releases/launches (see past installments of this series here and here) and a bit more about all the fashion finds that have been bubbling up to the top for me over the past few weeks. These are the items I’m seriously considering, researching, lusting after, shocked by…
01. AMAZON PILLOWS — I cannot believe the price on these scalloped decorative throws, which are reminiscent of Matouk. I’m eyeing for either my daughter’s bed or perhaps the guest bedroom. Come in tons of colors!
02. MAJESTIC FILATURES METALLIC TURTLENECK — Oof! I’ve shared this one a bunch (including in my microtrend post on metallics) but now can’t un-imagine wearing it with my metallic Daniela jeans (see me in them here; nearly sold out). You can get the look for less with this J. Crew.
03. ALICE +OLIVIA BLAZER DRESS. There’s this line in an old Sex and the City episode where Carrie tells one of the gals: “Girl, that’s not even yo style!” My sister and I say this to one another any time we’re dressing out of character but look good nonetheless. This is a major “that’s not even yo style” pick but I can’t stop thinking about it? SO fun and fabulous. I also have this slinky Black Halo dress in my cart, which is also a “not yo style” pick but it’s just leaping off the page at me?!
04. TOTEME T-LOCK CLUTCH. I’ve seen this all over the place and am deeply envious. Love the unusual oversized shape and glossy gold hardware. I’m torn between this or one of the Savette ones, which has a more tailored vibe. Love both! Which do you prefer?
05. ZARA HEELS. Just so fun! And under $50. I love the way they styled online, with a casual pair of jeans.
06. HERNO JACKET. I think I’m going to ask Mr. Magpie for either this coat or a new handbag (either the Toteme or Savette mentioned above) for Christmas. I’ve worn a Canada Goose coat for the past six years or so, and it’s been excellent (especially for Chicago and NYC temps) but now want something a bit dressier / less sporty, and warmth isn’t QUITE as big of a factor in our more temperate DC environment. Herno is still performance grade but not quite as athletic as CG.
07. MZ WALLACE LARGE METRO TOTE. On the heels of my posts about traveling with more ease and comfort, one Magpie wrote to rave about the virtues of the larger size of my M.Z. Wallace. (I own the medium in rose gold; you can see me wearing it for scale here.) She mentioned that it has a sleeve that slips over the roll-a-board handle (SUCH a pro) and lots of pockets for stowing important stuff. I’m eyeing one for upcoming travel…I like this gunmetal color.
08. BA&SH MEREDITH JACKET. I have been getting so much wear out of this silhouette this season — I love to layer these cropped blazers/jackets/coatigans/jackets/cardis over thin base layers with great jeans. I find this is such a versatile look. Polished but not over-done. Amazon has a $40 cardigan and Zara a $50 variation to get this look for less, and I’ve been wearing this textured Talbots one non-stop. I brought it with me on my girls’ weekend because it was dressy enough to wear over dresses at night but casual enough for jeans.
09. AMAZON SEQUIN SKIRT. Cannot believe this is under $50 (and getting good reviews). Love the burgundy color. Cute for holiday!
10. MARGAUX DEMI FLATS. My girlfriends were talking about this brand while we were down in Atlanta. We all love the Chanel vibes for the reasonable price, and I appreciate the expanded sizing, as my feet are tiny. The colors are also incredible! I really want a pair of silver flats but the red ones are also beyond.
11. BERKSHIRE PRESS MINI FA LA LA NOTES — A longtime Magpie reader, Monica, started this beautiful stationery line and I was charmed by these petite holiday notecards. Perfect for jotting down a special message (“I saw this and thought of you because…” and “I know 2024 will be bright for you because…”) while dropping off gifts this holiday season.
12. ROTATE BIRGER CHRISTENSEN DRESS — WOW this dress. I wish I had a dressy NYE to buy it for! So good.
13. NARS LIP COLOR IN DRAGON GIRL — Recently wore this red lip for a special event. I’d not worn a red lip in ages and I think the dragon girl color is perfection.
14. DEE OCLEPPO VELVET EMBELLISHED SANDAL (SEEN ABOVE) — I could not resist these. They contain absolutely everything I love in a winter special occasion shoe. Velvet! Bow! Embellishment! Realistic height! Surprisingly comfortable. Vibe for less (sans embellishment) here.
15. TARTAN TUCKERNUCK TOP — This is on its way to me now. I always find there is a small gap in my holiday wardrobe for more casual gatherings in the days leading up to Christmas. I’ve got the dressy part nailed down but am racking my brain for what to wear while, for example, baking cookies with my siblings, or dropping by for a glass of wine. This blouse is perfect for that and I love the Loretta Caponi-esque details.
P.P.S. On female friendships in my late 30s.
P.P.P.S. Reading and permissions.
If you want more Magpie, you can subscribe to my Magpie Email Digest for a weekly roundup of top essays, musings, conversations, and finds.