This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through the links below, I may receive compensation.
A little list of launches and finds on my radar this week:
01. I recently learned that the scarf-coat popularized by Toteme has an official name — “a scoat” — and that the trend is not going anywhere fast. You can find lots of looks for less — see Amazon, Quince (sold out still, but sign up for a restock!), Zara, Splendid, and Boden! The Boden coat doesn’t have the scarf but definitely gives us Toteme vibes with the whipstitch trim, and was a top Magpie seller a few months ago that was recently restocked.
02. Another trend from last year that has had legs: menswear-adjacent vests / waistcoats, which peaked in popularity thanks to Sofia Richie Grainge wearing this linen vest and skirt combo from Posse. I’m eyeing a few myself for the season ahead. Top of my wishlist is the Veronica Beard I shared yesterday, but a few others at a range of price points: this Faithfull, this Rag and Bone, this J. Crew, and this Aligne (20% off with code JEN-20).
03. If you like Naghedi but are feeling they’re a bit too ubiquitous these days*, you might consider one of these woven Dragon Diffusion totes. I’ve been seeing them pop up a bit more recently and I love them! The blue is fun! *For the record, I still have and love mine. They’re the perfect shape and size and material for toting lots of kid stuff / gym stuff / beach stuff / pool stuff. I would suggest getting one in an unusual color — I have a bright yellow one I adore. Target has a woven tote whose shape feels very Dragon Diffusion, too, if you’re looking for something similar at a lower price point.
04. Speaking of the ol’ bullseye, Target launched a striped shirt dress that is sure to sell out by week’s end.
05. Is gingham having a micro-moment? For awhile, gingham has felt like a pattern from my ultra-prep college days, but now I’m rethinking the association with Veronica Beard’s latest collection. This vest and these pants look so fab and fresh. I also saw a look for less option at Aligne (additional 20% off with code JEN-20).
06. I’m sorry to my fellow millennial stalwarts, but it looks like the horseshoe jean (look for less with these) is going nowhere fast. They seem to be popping up all over the place, and I’m growing more curious by the moment. Some horseshoe-adjacent styles to consider if you’re, like me, uncertain: these Mother half-pipes, these Velvets, these Citizens, and of course Nili Lotan Shons. You can see me wearing the Citizens in the photos at top a few months ago. They run really big and I ended up returning this pair because I felt they were too loose, but they did not have the size down in stock anywhere at the time. Contemplating repurchasing now that they’ve been restocked. The color is SO good. I might need to have them hemmed a scoch. (I was wearing above with my Leset Kelly tee, La Ligne sweater (10% off with code MAGPIE10), Longchamp bag, and Schutz Arissas.
07. Has anyone used Ogee makeup? They have my number on Instagram — I basically cannot open my app without being marketed to, and it’s working. Apparently Halle Berry uses this makeup…? I don’t even know how to contour but I’m convinced I need to try this contouring set. The Instagram ads are so compelling!
08. Not a new launch, but I used this travel makeup case while out of town last weekend and it far exceeded my expectations. Surprisingly sturdy, good quality for $20. Reminded me a lot of the Anya Hindmarch ones I’ve been wanting forever, but much less $$. BTW, I used a blend of your suggestions in response to my post asking how you travel with cosmetics/beauty products — will share all my thoughts soon, but the comments on that post are a gold mine!
09. I predict khaki and ecru twill/denim are going to be a trending as everyday pants this spring and summer. I like these Velvets (mentioned earlier in the horseshoe-adjacent category), these VB kick flares, these Gap wide-legs, these straight legs (look for less with these), and these wildly popular Madewells (I own in black!)
10. As you might have noticed with these pants (look for less with these) in the prior bullet point: I have to let you know that cargo seems to be having a little comeback?! If you are cringing remembering yourself in 1999, just know you’re not alone, but the newer styles have tapered legs or wide legs that feel refreshingly new. The turning point for me was discovering this pair of dark-wash, cuffed jeans from VB with a slightly cargo styling on the side.
11. One of my favorite smaller bag labels, Pam Munson, just launched some new designs. Love these! She always finds the most elegant ways to update a straw bag.
12. Wait: this is so fascinating to me! This Substack uses various data sources to rank brands, and this week, Eileen Fisher beat out The Row. I definitely spent a little portion of my Sunday reviewing Eileen Fisher for hidden gems. These pants are definitely on-trend (the interesting leg shape, the color, the utility/cargo-adjacentness) and this boxy sweater is a steal!
P.P.S. I enjoyed reading your comments on my post on first rejections in life. So many of us felt so alone in those first brushes with failure, and yet it’s a universal human experience.
P.P.P.S. What was the first movie or book you encountered as a child that really terrified or moved you?