This post is sponsored by Shopbop.
Today through April 20th, Shopbop is offering 15% off orders of $200+, 20% off orders of $500+, and 25% off orders of $800+ with code STYLE.
I wanted to spotlight this under-$100 blazer as a great essential to buy at a discount (bundled with something else). I styled it here, heavily inspired by an outfit Gwyneth Paltrow wore maybe a decade ago that I still think of regularly, with these trousers from Joe’s Jeans and a Louis Vuitton pochette that I’ve owned since college. I wanted this little bag so badly and Mr. Magpie bought it for me as a birthday gift when I was turning 20. I wore it everywhere. I recently pulled it out of retirement to wear out one evening, and I was tickled to find some nearly identical vintage ones available at Shopbop. It’s not included in the sale but I had to share. This particular style gives me such a strong sensation of nostalgia for my youth.
The blazer looks much higher end than the price tag suggests and comes in both navy and black (I’m wearing navy). I love the classic gold buttons and slightly exaggerated lapels. It runs a tad big. I took the XS and it felt a tiny bit oversized (perhaps the style). The arms are too long for me (I’m 5’0) so I will need to wear with them sort of pushed up to the elbow as I’ve done here, or possibly contemplate tailoring if I end up wearing a lot. If you are looking to make an investment in the blazer area, though, you might consider this Veronica Beard, which is also included in the sale, and is 20% off with code STYLE. I have heard the best things about their blazers. I have a few other pieces from VB that I love! Always impeccably tailored and great quality.
A few items in my closet that I absolutely adore and are also included in the sale:
01. STAUD CROPPED SWEATER — Such a fun and punchy addition to my spring knitwear repertoire. I always gets stopped when I wear this sweater! I love how it looks paired with high-waisted denim.
02. LE SPECS SUNGLASSES — My favorite pair, ever. I own this style in three colors but I wear these caramel ones constantly.
03. AGOLDE RILEY CROPPED JEANS — These are my new go-to jeans. For a long time, I wore a pair by Madewell, and then I tried the Citizen’s Charlotte style, but these are my stand-out favorite. The pair I always reach for in my drawer. They are really comfortable and very flattering on the leg. They do have a button fly, which I don’t love, but I’ve made peace with it because I just love the way these jeans fit. I took a size up and could probably fit fine into my true size as my pair are a bit big in the waist — but these feel great a little looser since they don’t have any stretch. Could not love these more.
04. ALEXANDRE BIRMAN CLARITAS — A great wardrobe investment. These will literally go with any cocktail/evening dress you have and they never feel dated. I bought a pair over a decade ago and they’re still my first pick for dressier events.
05. STAUD WELLS DRESS (ALSO AVAILABLE IN BLACK) — Your Audrey Hepburn moment. This dress runs TTS, fits like a dream, and makes you feel like a million bucks. It runs generally TTS but you might be able to size down if you are narrow in the waist / if your waist is the smallest part of you, as I did this and the dress fits like a DREAM.
A few other items I want to rave about:
THIS BANJANAN STRIPED DRESS — I ORDERED THIS!
JULIET DUNN TIE SHOULDER DRESS — I’VE EYED THIS BRAND FOR SEVERAL SEASONS AND JUST COULDN’T RESIST THE PATTERN/COLORS ON THIS ONE
XIRENA MACYN TOP — HAVE BEEN HAVING THE BEST LUCK WITH XIRENA BLOUSES THIS YEAR! THIS ONE IS REALLY FUN AND WOULD LOOK GREAT TUCKED INTO HIGH-WAIST SHORTS
MILLE OLYMPIA DRESS — I OWN THIS IN A DIFFERENT PATTERN BUT WISH I HAD THIS ONE INSTEAD…IT IS SO SWEET AND SUMMERY! FUN TO MATCH WITH ANOTHER BOLD COLOR BY WAY OF JEWELRY/A HANDBAG. THIS BRAND RUNS BIG — SIZE DOWN
SEA FLUTTER TOP — I OWN THIS IN PINK AND IT’S SUCH A FUN STATEMENT…EASY WAY TO ADD COLOR AND INTEREST INTO YOUR WARDROBE. JUST PAIR WITH WHITE JEANS
Shop Le Post.
P.S. Do you consider yourself romantic?
P.P.S. I loved your comments on this post about the first movies/books that really moved us.
P.P.P.S. Parenting as process.
Leave A Reply
4 thoughts on “Shopbop’s Spring Style Event.”
I remember seeing that picture of GP in that outfit and love it! As much as I gravitate toward feminine, floral dresses, I am equally drawn to neutrals done right. I may copycat your entire look here. 🙂
Heidi, I’ve heard good things about BR’s Captain Blazer as well — I believe Jean Wang/Extra Petite wrote good reviews on it (aside from Jen, she’s my other source for petite style). Plus, the Captain Blazer comes in petite sizing! I had similar issues with the Lioness and the sleeve length — I try to avoid paying for alterations if I can get away with it, so BR’s petite version is great. I love how you described it as in between VB and Lioness, as I’m not in a situation to invest in a VB at the moment!
Jen, big congrats on a sponsored Shopbop post! I don’t know about the inner workings of influencing but it must be a win! I also have to say that I appreciate you continuing with the literary/long-form blogging that sets you apart from many others. Please keep being YOU!
I’m so glad someone else remembers that GP moment! It’s burned in my brain, right up there with her in the pink dress at the Oscars, as iconic Hollywood style.
Great to know about the captain blazer! I’m intrigued because I do think the Lioness sleeves are too long and not sure if I’ll get tired shoving them up all the time. I have it sitting here right in front of me and can’t decide. Maybe I’ll order the BR to compare.
Thanks for the lovely note on this sponsored post and for the encouragement more generally! Writing is my first passion and it is the core and backbone of this blog. Still has been exciting to expand and try new things!
Banana Republic’s Captain’s Blazer is somewhere between the Lionness and Veronica Beard. The look of VB but better quality than the Lioness.
Thank you so much for the intel! xx