I have ordered three of these Lego sets in the past two weeks for six year old boys! I love to tailor the gifts I buy for the people in my life, but sometimes you really need some solid standbys on hand when you’re in the thick of the birthday circuit. Today, I thought I’d share a bunch of my favorite “go-to gifts” for little children. For ages 6-8, I nearly always buy Lego, PicassoTiles (the marble run set is awesome), Playmobil, or Revell build kits. You simply cannot go wrong with those brands; I can’t think of a child I know who wouldn’t love any of those items, boy or girl!
Above, you can see one of my recent gifts for a little boy — I wanted to mention how much I love Target for gift wrap for young children! This is their Spritz dino wrap. It is not a great quality paper (it is thin / rips easily), but the pattern is adorable. I also have their car wrap and shark wrap for birthdays for little ones! I am also never without a roll of Rifle’s Party Animals gift wrap — the quality is amazing (very thick), and it is precious. I like to wrap with a big 2″ white satin ribbon. (PSA: Rifle usually runs a promotion towards the holidays and I try to stock up then.) I always tuck a little gift enclosure card from Erin Wallace in — she has the best designs and quality for the price.
For younger children, my favorite gifts below. Nearly all of these are around $50 or less — most under $30. I’ve arranged these loosely in ascending order of age appropriateness — items 1-9 are great for under 1.5 in particular (perfect first birthday gifts). We own every last one of these items and I could write a taxingly long praise review for each, but will try to keep it simple and just let you know — these are all well-loved in our home, and I take joy in giving them to other children in our lives.
01. REED & BARTON RACECAR PIGGY BANK — A GREAT GIFT FOR A LITTLE ONE UNDER A YEAR OF AGE; GREAT DECOR AND YOU CAN “SEED” THE FUND WITH A $10 BILL INSIDE
02. BRIO PULL-ALONG DACHSUND (I LIKE TO BUNDLE WITH THIS BOOK)
03. FISHER PRICE LITTLE PEOPLE BUS — MY CHILDREN LOVED THESE FIGURES FROM THE AGE OF A YEAR
05. GREENTOYS FIRETRUCK — MY SON’S FIRST TRUCK! GREAT BECAUSE NO SMALL/DETACHABLE PARTS THAT ARE CHOKING HAZARDS
06. NAME PUZZLE — GREAT WAY TO REINFORCE LETTERS IN A LITTLE’S NAME…DOUBLES AS DECOR
07. HONEYSTIX BEESWAX CRAYONS — TASTE-SAFE! THESE WERE THE FIRST DRAWING IMPLEMENTS MY CHILDREN USED, AROUND AGE ONE
13. HAPE DOCTOR SET
14. MATCHBOX CARS — YOU SIMPLY CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH; THESE ARE IN ALL OF MY HANDBAGS AS QUICK, PORTABLE DIVERSIONS
15. STOMP ROCKET
17. SCHLEICH HELICOPTER SET — ANY TOY BY THIS BRAND IS INCREDIBLE…THE DETAIL! ANIMALS ARE HAND-PAINTED!
18. OOLY GEL CRAYONS
If you’re looking for “a little something” gift — something under $20 if you’re visiting, or want to surprise a child with something — I love Usborne sticket books, Mudpuppy puzzles, and Plus Plus blocks.
For something unusual and well-made for the child who has everything, try anything by the French brand Vilac. We have a few of their beautiful wooden games, including this cat balancing game, and they are just incredible!
P.S. My other heartbeat.
P.P.S. Tender green blades — on watching my daughter grow up.
P.P.P.S. Affordable children’s clothing basics.