I have ordered three of these Lego sets in the past two weeks for six year old boys! I love to tailor the gifts I buy for the people in my life, but sometimes you really need some solid standbys on hand when you’re in the thick of the birthday circuit. Today, I thought I’d share a bunch of my favorite “go-to gifts” for little children. For ages 6-8, I nearly always buy Lego, PicassoTiles (the marble run set is awesome), Playmobil, or Revell build kits. You simply cannot go wrong with those brands; I can’t think of a child I know who wouldn’t love any of those items, boy or girl!
Above, you can see one of my recent gifts for a little boy — I wanted to mention how much I love Target for gift wrap for young children! This is their Spritz dino wrap. It is not a great quality paper (it is thin / rips easily), but the pattern is adorable. I also have their car wrap and shark wrap for birthdays for little ones! I am also never without a roll of Rifle’s Party Animals gift wrap — the quality is amazing (very thick), and it is precious. I like to wrap with a big 2″ white satin ribbon. (PSA: Rifle usually runs a promotion towards the holidays and I try to stock up then.) I always tuck a little gift enclosure card from Erin Wallace in — she has the best designs and quality for the price.
For younger children, my favorite gifts below. Nearly all of these are around $50 or less — most under $30. I’ve arranged these loosely in ascending order of age appropriateness — items 1-9 are great for under 1.5 in particular (perfect first birthday gifts). We own every last one of these items and I could write a taxingly long praise review for each, but will try to keep it simple and just let you know — these are all well-loved in our home, and I take joy in giving them to other children in our lives.
01. REED & BARTON RACECAR PIGGY BANK — A GREAT GIFT FOR A LITTLE ONE UNDER A YEAR OF AGE; GREAT DECOR AND YOU CAN “SEED” THE FUND WITH A $10 BILL INSIDE
02. BRIO PULL-ALONG DACHSUND (I LIKE TO BUNDLE WITH THIS BOOK)
03. FISHER PRICE LITTLE PEOPLE BUS — MY CHILDREN LOVED THESE FIGURES FROM THE AGE OF A YEAR
05. GREENTOYS FIRETRUCK — MY SON’S FIRST TRUCK! GREAT BECAUSE NO SMALL/DETACHABLE PARTS THAT ARE CHOKING HAZARDS
06. NAME PUZZLE — GREAT WAY TO REINFORCE LETTERS IN A LITTLE’S NAME…DOUBLES AS DECOR
07. HONEYSTIX BEESWAX CRAYONS — TASTE-SAFE! THESE WERE THE FIRST DRAWING IMPLEMENTS MY CHILDREN USED, AROUND AGE ONE
08. USBORN PULL-BACK BUSY TRAIN BOOK
09. DUPLOS — SIMPLY THE BEST…MY CHILDREN (NOW 3 AND 5) STILL PLAY WITH THESE NEARLY DAILY…WE KEEP IN THIS HUGE TUB IN OUR FAMILY ROOM
11. MAILEG PRINCESS AND THE PEA SET
12. GREAT PRETENDERS PRINCESS DRESS
13. HAPE DOCTOR SET
14. MATCHBOX CARS — YOU SIMPLY CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH; THESE ARE IN ALL OF MY HANDBAGS AS QUICK, PORTABLE DIVERSIONS
15. STOMP ROCKET
17. SCHLEICH HELICOPTER SET — ANY TOY BY THIS BRAND IS INCREDIBLE…THE DETAIL! ANIMALS ARE HAND-PAINTED!
18. OOLY GEL CRAYONS
If you’re looking for “a little something” gift — something under $20 if you’re visiting, or want to surprise a child with something — I love Usborne sticket books, Mudpuppy puzzles, and Plus Plus blocks.
For something unusual and well-made for the child who has everything, try anything by the French brand Vilac. We have a few of their beautiful wooden games, including this cat balancing game, and they are just incredible!
P.S. My other heartbeat.
P.P.S. Tender green blades — on watching my daughter grow up.
P.P.P.S. Affordable children’s clothing basics.
Leave A Reply
2 thoughts on “Go-To Gifts for Young Children.”
Great recs for my nieces, thank you!!
Also, I’m wondering if you could recommend a facial cleanser… I’ve been going back and forth between both Indie Lee’s and Osea Ocean cleanser, but I could use something a little more moisturizing! Something in the similar price range would be great. Thanks Jen! XO
Hi! Have you tried Living Libations? It’s an oil-cleanser and leaves your skin looking glowy and perfect —
I wet a cotton square, squeeze out excess moisture, and then apply one pump to the square and smooth all over my face. Then I rinse the square and wipe that all over my face again. It is like magic!